Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

welcome aboard

I'm coming out!

a loved one gets cancer... and one finds pity
a friend is getting divorced... you offer a shoulder
a co-worker comes out of the closet... he must be confused

You divulge the fact you have a mental illness... and people run for the fences

I'm the poster boy for that illness. I find no shame in confessing.
No guilt. No remorse, only a promise for answers to a better life.

This is my party, for both of me...

My name is Ron, and I am bipolar.

A few months back, I was talking to my doctor about depression. I told him the lows were killing me. I had all but wrecked my marriage, my kids feared me, my business was falling apart, as were my friendships with the closest of friends.
He gave me a test for depression. He counseled, i listened, well the best i could. I always had trouble focusing. He diagnosed me with bipolar disorder. I was crushed. I wasn't screwed up, everyone else was. Bipolar was something that REALLY messed up people had... not me, no way.

Flash forward to today. I am on medications to fight this illness. I feel better now then i have in years. I feel level... something i have never felt. Day to day life can be dealt with, with some sanity. Life isn't do or die... I am a person. Not the monster i felt i was hiding for so many years. My marriage is headed in a better direction. I am learning to find compassion for people. My children, they see a new me, less harsh, more forgiving.
So this is the point. My life captured in fragments of, well, micro bits on the web, for you to soak in, laugh at, read about, or throw away.
... this is my life.
... as messed up as my mind can perceive it.
... full of rants, humor, full of...


... life.

So climb in, strap yourself down, and prepare for the bipolar express!

No comments:

Post a Comment