Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Finding Clarity in a cup of coffee

I am learning how important the morning cup of coffee is at the cafe. I know, you are snickering thinking I am looking for justification to my morning ritual. I am in some sorts, but in a large way, it has a deeper purpose.

While sitting in front of the cup of coffee, in the window of the cafe i peer out into the world. Its like a gateway to an urban looking glass... I watch the ever changing sidewalks as people go by. It has become a calming for me... a centerdness, where I can reflect on the direction of my day, the supplies and tools i will need and a focus on reality. I need that. When I am forced to bypass the coffee shop as i have been for the last few weeks, I feel as if a very important part of my day is missing. I feel scattered and misguided. 

One thing that has given me joys over the years of coffee shop exploration, is people watching. The same people tend to come in at the same time every morning. I watch as they order the same things, go bout their coffee station in the same manner every day... creatures of habit. I hope no one is clocking my habits(grins).

I think that what the little time I get during my workday to reflect at the coffee shop is like a sitting and sipping meditation. I think that we are meant to sit, motionless, contemplating the world. How often do you tune in to  a nature show on Animal Planet, or Discovery Channel, and see a tiger or monkey looking out over the plain. I think reflective times pass deep into the core of out nature. We are meant to slow down and soak up the world. That is what my time at the coffee shop is to me... My urban sunrise, my one handed clap. I dont care to much for conversation during this time. Friends happen in and I love saying hi, exchanging a few thoughts, then breaking back into my silent world. I think of all the cities that i have lived in, all the coffee shops i have haunted and smile. Its like hollowed ground to me... my ritual... my solace.

Maybe we would all be a little better off if we took the time.
Focus on our battles.
Take in our environment.

Take time to reflect on out short comings, center ourselves and channel on the path we need to follow. To understand that through all of our busy schedules, we need time, to find ourselves, to ponder our faults, and smile at the things that make our lives great.

So whether its Starbucks in any town, The New Moon in Augusta, Frankie's in Southern Pines, The Java Cabana in Memphis, The Sunrise Grill in Orrville, The Edge Coffee Shop in Pittsburgh, your favorite Cafe, or even your living room... take time, respect the bean and reflect on the greatness of your life. may you find your center... and start your day with a smile

No comments:

Post a Comment