Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

People are strange, when you ARE stranger

I went to the gym yesterday... yes, I made it. I ran into a friend that I hadn't seen in several months. He asked where I had been. It told him about being diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and about how the medicine I have been taking has made me lose the desire to work out and given me the desire to eat pure junk food. He asked what medication I have been taking. He laughed and told me about a breakdown he had went through some years ago. The doctor put him on the same medicine. He said he gained fifty pounds on it and begged the doctor to switch his meds. He wasn't saying that I should switch medications,but rather that the mind is more important then the body.

Two things went through me head as I went from free weights to free weights. 1) just how many people in this crazy messed up world are taking medications for depression and mental illnesses? And 2)I think the body is just as important as the mind.

Through facebook, church and friendships, I have met dozens upon dozens of people with some sort of history of breakdowns. I have received messages on facebook from friends who struggle with metal issues. I am so honored that they chose me to confide in. I have people come up to me in shops, church, gas stations and hug me and whisper that they struggle also. I am humbled.It just makes me wonder in this ever growing world, how many there are. I want to cry out to the ones that are struggling internally without seeking help. But the numbers have to be staggering. Maybe its in the water? Something has to be helping it along. I am not saying that one thing or another is the direct cause of this. But maybe it has help from something we are eating or doing. Maybe the pressures of today's demands are making us unhappy, or triggering metal breakdowns. Maybe we need to slow down and smell the flowers. Walk with each other in this journey called life, hand in hand, helping one another as we fall. Maybe we need to realize that our bodies, our minds and our souls are all connected. That maybe we as people are connected by a spiritual chain that we have broken and denied for too long. Maybe what hurts one effects another more deeply than we could ever understand. Perhaps we were linked in a spiritual way for survival and we are falling apart at the seams. That taking a pill is more of a bandaid then a way of healing the wound. Maybe I need you as much as you need me. That together we can mend and heal.

5 comments:

  1. We are all connected. And I am thoroughly convinced that if we could all just take a little more time to reach out to each other that we could begin to help each other heal and live more meaningfully and happily.

    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  2. bravo!!! i think your on to something....as popping a pill only medicates, bandages the issue- if truth be known, i think the ptb would love for nothing more than for all to be medicated. that opens up the door to *why* are so many feeling the need to be medicated....chem trails maybe? chems/preservatives in our food/water? hmmmm....makes one wonder. conspiracy therories galore..... we are all connected though, i started realizing that after reading the celestine prophecy years upon years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....and the more we connect as a society through thoughts and feelings the less we will hopefully feel the need to pop a pill. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lara and Kara. I can't help to think that our body and mind are connected and that spiritually we are all connected. The draw of one human to another :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this one.. And I think that all of the things you've mentioned are at least a part of the puzzle.. I can think of several ways that modern "conveniences" could be contributing.. The pesticides and preservatives in our foods. Pollution and toxins in the air.. Lives lived primarily indoors that result in less Vitamin D and less exercise... And definitely stress. It baffles me at how often being busy is seen as a virtue when God himself sat aside a whole day for rest. But, thought I don't believe it's virtuous, we have tried to "re-establish the Sabbath" unsuccessfully in our lives quite a few times. It becomes a question of living in our culture without letting it define us. And we've had a hard time finding that line.

    And community, yes, I am certain that we are created for it. And, I would assume that someone like you who naturally leans to the manic side would even crave it.. And there is definitely something to be said for community that makes the spiritual connections even when given full disclosure. Isn't that what every human desires? To be wanted and valued despite our struggles or even better, because of them?

    ReplyDelete